Sunday, May 15, 2011

Pancakes!


Sunday night is waffles/pancakes night at our house.  Tonight it was blueberry pancakes.  The only time we don't do it is if we go to Stax or Daniel's parents' house for lunch after church.  Then we will just have cereal or something.  But usually it's pancakes or waffles.



This recipe was my grandfather's (Thomas Calvin Everett, Jr. 1905-1990) creation.  We always had them when we went to visit them in Darlington and we usually had them on Sunday mornings at home in Florence.  I do remember a few Sunday nights enjoying a hot waffle while Mary Glenn and I watched The Magical World of Disney and my parents and Baba watched Murder, She Wrote.  Sometimes we watched Murder, She Wrote too.  Jessica Fletcher.  Very talented crime solver.

Here is the recipe and below are variations:

2 cups self-rising flour
4 eggs
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup oil
You need 3 bowls--one for the flour, one for the yolk mixture and one for the egg whites.
Separate eggs.  Beat yolks and add milk and oil.  Whip egg whites until the form soft peaks.  Add yolk mixture to flour and then fold in egg whites.  You can use this same recipe for both pancakes and waffles (regular or Belgian).  Makes 6-8 Belgian sized waffles.

Variations I've done (add these to the batter):
--Add fruit (blueberries, bananas, strawberries)
--Make healthy by substituting applesauce for oil (it turns out fine) and adding cinnamon
--Add chocolate chips
--Add bacon
--Add chocolate chips AND bacon and top with warm maple syrup
--Make savory by adding sauteed veggies (onions, peppers, spinach, cheese, squash, zucchini) and top with salsa and sour cream.
--add ricotta and lemon zest

When Daniel and I make this, I do 3/4 of the recipe rather than half because (and people who have seen me eat waffles can attest to this) I eat at least two Belgian-sized waffles or 6 good-sized pancakes.  They are like the "Hot Doughnuts Now" for me and I can just inhale them!

No comments:

Post a Comment